Thursday, December 20, 2012

...THE DAY BEFORE THE WORLD ENDS...

Okay we all know the world isn't actually going to end tomorrow, but it just so happens that I have recently learned a lot about myself and about living for the present.

College seems to be a full time party before you actually get there. Hot guys, skipping class, eating ice cream, and having sleepovers with roomies is what I pictured. I pictured college being my time to finally shine and have a fresh start. Once I got there I realized how great hodunk Pocatello actually is, how much I do love having my mom around, saying goodbye is harder than it ever has been, and I actually can't always do everything on my own! College isn't full of partying, if you actually want to get good grades. (Especially at BYU-there is no partying at all :) ) College is hard work.

So, here are some important things I have learned from moving away and becoming a grown up:

1. Sometimes you may think you know exactly what you want, so you make a big decision based on that. You find that it's not what you want once you see the results. This is part of life. It hurts, it's hard, it sucks, but YOU WILL LIVE. You will get through it.

2. While you're searching for who you are, you might find who you are not. That may not give you the answers to everything but it's a start.

3. The Lord will cut us down because he loves us. My roommate Ashbee showed me this clip: http://www.mormonchannel.org/mormonmessages?v=1839005837001

4. Although I may not be particularly enjoying where I am, there are always good people somewhere- you just have to be looking! Here are some of my friends:


Ashbee Petersen- My roomie :) We got put together for a reason! She is the best. She is from a real live hicktown, like off of "Sweet Home Alabama." Her graduating class had 16 people in it. We knew we were meant to be roommates the first day we met, because she told me her boyfriend's name is Brady Thomson. That was just too cray cray!






Haley Pendergast- she is from the 808! Incase you didn't know, that is Hawaii. But she is even whiter than me! I thought all Hawaiians were tan for some reason. Anyway, she is the sweetest, smartest, classiest, most humble girl I have ever met. She always is there for me to vent to! Not about missing home though- because she misses home also. Who wouldn't miss Hawaii? We like to eat together a lot. It helps us feel relief from homework. That is about as exciting as our lives get!












Sally Park- my crazy Korean friend. She is an Asian diva. Her singing voice sounds like angels from up above.That about sums her up. Her favorite lines are, "That is so fricken funny!!!" and "wowwww you look sexy." At church, she never pays attention. She just reads Korean romance on her iphone. Whenever I am sad about my old boyfriend she says "Laken, I bet he is missing you right now just like you miss him!" I say, "yeah right, he doesn't even care probably." and Sally will say,"Fine then. He hates you and wants you to die." hahaha she is hilarious. I think I would go crazy if I didn't have a little Sally in my life! P.S. Sally=best name ever, right?






Amber Huntsman, Kensington Osmond, and Brittani Elkington. We're like "mean girls" except it would be called "nice girls" for us. Amber always knows what to say, Kensi is your typical girl from Chicaaaago and Brittani always makes you laugh. I could hang with them all day!

Soooo...notice I have no guy friends in Provo. That's because they're all annoying and rude. Stuck in the high school lifestyle is what they are... but that's okay because I have my girls!


5. "Learn from the past, prepare for the future, but live in the present." -Thomas S. Monson. There is nothing for you if you are stuck in the past. Perhaps you are wishing for easier or better times. Or perhaps you can't forgive yourself for some mistakes you made that are haunting you. Just take the lessons from your trials and move on. The future is important, but don't waste precious time worrying about what could happen tomorrow, when you have today! Love who you love, live your life, and enjoy it. My favorite book Tuck Everlasting is about a family who can live forever. Through their experiences being stopped in time, they have a different perspective than most. "Don't be afraid of death, be afraid of the unlived life."

"One today is worth two tomorrows." -Benjamin Franklin

6. Most importantly, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment